Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Holiday Double-Sided Table Runner

The holidays are on their way and I am always behind when it comes to my sewing. But I actually got something done before Halloween/Thanksgiving so I am happy with my progress thus far.

My time is limited so I have to choose projects that are quick to finish or I will never get them done. This year I chose to work on a small table runner made out of some Nightmare Before Christmas fat quarters that I picked up at the cutest quilt shop in Las Vegas, NV. Thank you Christmas Goose!! I made it two sided so I could use it for more than just Halloween.

For the back I chose fall prints that could be used for Thanksgiving as well. Those I got from my local Joann's. The table runner was very easy to put together and once I quit procrastinating, took no time at all.

For the square side I cut 44 3.5 in squares from my fat quarters and just randomly threw them together. I ended up keeping each row the same color, not the same patterns, but it can be arranged however you like.

I then measured the front and ended up cutting the back outside fabric 3.5 inches and that left the middle at 6.5 inches.

Then I put the fabrics wrong sides together and sewed a 1/4" seam allowance all the way around but left about a 5" opening for turning. I trimmed the seam down to about 1/8" and then turned it right side out. I pressed it flat and then used a 1/4" seam allowance again for the topstitching. And viola! A super easy table runner that you can use for two months instead of only one.

I do wish I would've made it a little longer but I was happy overall. I didn't use a pattern for it, I just kind of eyeballed what I thought I would like and guessed at the dimensions. I rarely use a patterns because I almost always mess it up. I love that you can make this in pretty much any size you want. Just make sure you always add the seam allowances, I always forget that and end up making it too small.
I hope you enjoy making yours as much as I enjoyed making mine. Post pictures in the comments below, I would love to see your awesome creations!

Table Runner Halloween Front

44 3.5 in squares - as many different fabrics as you like


Table Runner Thanksgiving Back

Outside fabric - 3.5 in
Inside fabric - 6.5 in

Total size - 11.75 in x 32.75 in

No comments:

Post a Comment

Repairing a Quilt by Hand

     Repairing quilts is no easy task. I am learning this by trial and error on a quilt that I offered my services for. I have never repaire...